Monday, January 24, 2011

MODULE 1

It has been said that many times, after meeting the parents at the first parent-teacher conference, teachers can say..."Oh...I get it now".  Unfortunately, many times this is true.  I see many of my struggling students have homes that do not have books in the home, do not read to or with their children, and unfortunately that may because the parents do not have the skills needed to have a literacy rich home.  Understanding that there are other ways to help children, ie. Sesame Street, Between the Lions and other basic reading skill television programs are one way that I have suggested to parents.  It's an easy way to help their child and one that the children love.  We as educators must help find a bridge for all parents to be actively involved in their child's education.  The author's tell us that the teacher will make the difference.  This does indeed take time and effort, many times more than we have to spare, but if we can make the difference for our students then it is indeed worth it.  My goal after reading this information is to make certain that at the very least I make information about websites, television shows and videos available to parents to that they can enlist a way to help their child at home.

Multicultural factors and diverse backgrounds are one of the most difficult situations I find myself in.  Many times with my students who fit into this category I am absolutely at a loss about how to help them.  So many factors are at play with these children and it affects their learning in the classroom.  I am so impressed that 6 and 7 year olds are bilingual but in early childhood, this can be such a hinderance.  I have a student this year that struggles with reading, but also struggles with sequencing, and simple answers to questions about stories we read.  Although her answers and sequencing of stories is "wrong", I can see how this is correct for her as her culture and background are where she gets her prior knowledge.  However, I am struggling as her teacher on how to help her be a successful reader of English and not take away from her Mong culture.

I had a student several years ago who was the son of deaf parents.  This young man was an above level reader, he was a math whiz, but when I had a sentence scrambled, he could not put it together correctly.  I struggled and struggled with this concept for him until one day I realized that although he could read and write the english language - his verbal skills were American Sign Language - this was his other language.  I then realized that he put the sentence together "backwards" with the adjectives and adverbs after the noun and verb - just like it is "spoken" in his home.

The third item in the readings that was so important to me was the discussion that socioeconomic backgrounds are an important factor.  Of course I knew that poverty and different cultures played a part in a student being successful, but just the simple fact of how limited a person of poverty can be, not only in the basic needs of survival, but also in how conversation, and text is interpreted can hinder the comprehension of stories for our students.  We must be aware of each students prior knowledge or lack thereof and take the time to give them the knowledge that we would assume they have so they too can be as successful as their peers that do not have this disadvantage.

What I learned most from chapter 17 and what I am implementing in my classroom is to be aware of the students.  Not only their academic levels, but where they come from and what they are able to bring to the table.  I must work with parents and spend time with those struggling children to bridge the gap of achievement for them.  I must help them keep their own culture and be proud of it, I must not make them feel bad for lack of social and economic situations that are out of their control, and still make them successful in this culture.  I'm making discreet and confidential notes that I can refer to as I work with these students on their academic skills and strive to bring everything they need to their individual lessons.  This is not going to be easy and I will enlist the help of many colleagues, but I'm certainly glad to have my eyes open and be ready to make the change.

2 comments:

  1. Please add the last question: Which of the suggested strategies (squeepers or picture dictionary) did you field test in your classroom and what was the result?

    I really like your insight on the diversity issue in your classroom and how you as a teacher has to meet each child in a unique and special way. Teachers need to know the child, his funds of knowledge, his diverse educational background and then plan special opportunities to further the learning. Teachers have to connect the outside world and the school world so the student can connect and see relevancy in what is learned in the classroom can readily used to help his outside world.

    Thank you for sharing. I loved your comments.Also, I loved the picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work with a young lady in our church who is deaf and she is struggling in English Comp I in college, because when she communicates, she does not use articles; the, an, I, etc., and they usually sign the subject first and then describe it, which in contrast is very hard to explain.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.