Thanks everyone for working so quickly - it was not difficult at all to pull in all our comments into one reflection. We really are a good team! (SueAnn - I am glad you were able to work through the broken arm and get your reflection posted, unfortunately, I still cannot access your blog and I didn't get it by email - sorry it is not on here - Dr. Swanson: Just so you know that she did her part, I just couldn't get it to add. Thanks for your patience - I'm sorry I dropped the ball on the last part of the assignment - I still don't know where I missed it. -- Lesa
Survey Reflection
Alex Guss
Donna McFerran
Lesa Lafferty
MacKenzie Whitlock
Data suggests that teachers are concerned for the well being of public schools. Teacher retirement is a source of concern and registers as a point of conflict for teacher well being. The consensus is that the future of teaching in Oklahoma is an uncertain gamble and is possibly a targeted profession. Educators completed this survey and represented a vast horizon within the field of education. One concern indicated in the survey relates to how teachers will be assessed in the future and that further education may be necessary for educators who want to stay on in Oklahoma.
The survey topic of our group was how teacher retirement changes will affect teachers in the classroom. I felt this was a very timely topic and required thinking outside the box. We all strive to be exceptional teachers, but we are human and at the end of the day, when our own personal livelihood is threatened, can we truly perform at our best? Our survey made the recipients think honestly about themselves in the role of teacher and what our profession will be like in the immediate and long term future.
Our survey was conducted to find the student teacher candidates and current teacher’s opinion on retirement, concerns about the future of schools and jobs, the importance of acquiring a master’s degree, and the effects of testing on job security. All people surveyed are concerned about public schools and the future of public education. All people surveyed also agreed that in the future their job could depend on their students test scores.
A current teacher or a student teacher candidate should be well informed about the continual changes in your school, district, and state. There is a concern among those surveyed for our schools and the future of public education. The consensus shows soon a teacher’s job security will rely on their students’ test scores and teacher merit pay is also in the beginning implementation stages.
It seems teachers of various school environments and grade levels are all concerned with the stability of the schools and security of jobs and there is an agreement; having a masters degree is an advantage. Teachers need to make sure they are informed on the proposed bills and potential laws that will affect current and future teachers.
Thanks Lisa! It has been terrific working with you. I enjoyed our topic on a philosophical level, though I was supprised by some responses. I will continue to support public education as an institution while also working for the improvement our system for education sake.
ReplyDelete